We hope you understand the importance of daily oral care for your teeth and gums, such as brushing and flossing. Like your teeth, your gums need to maintain excellent health because they perform functions such as supporting and cushioning the teeth. The health of your gums can provide insight into the status of your overall wellbeing since they can be affected by other health issues. For example, bleeding gums can result from multiple sources, and it’s necessary to pinpoint the cause to receive treatment.
Dental plaque is the biggest culprit of bleeding gums because it is rich in bacteria that inflames the gum tissue and results in the earliest stage of gum disease, with bleeding gums as one of the symptoms. However, you can experience bleeding along the gum line from a variety of sources, such as:
– Aggressive brushing: Brushing too hard damages the gum tissue. Instead of sawing back and forth, brush in gentle, circular motions using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
– Vitamin deficiency: Your gums can react to insufficient amounts of essential vitamins such as C and K in your system.
– Anemia: If you don’t have enough iron in your diet, you may be deficient in hemoglobin and red blood cells.
– Medication: If you are taking prescription blood thinners or blood pressure medication, you may notice inflammation and bleeding in your gums as a side effect.
– Smoking: There are lots of toxins in tobacco produces toxins that result in harmful conditions such as dry mouth and gum irritation.
– Hormones: Hormonal spikes due to pregnancy or menstruation can disrupt the chemical balance in your oral cavity and affect your gum tissue.
– Infection: If you have a serious gum infection such as periodontitis, you may experience weakened bone beneath the teeth, as well as a higher risk of stroke and heart attack.
If you are struggling with bleeding gums in Shawnee Mission, Kansas, contact Mark S. Jensen DDS & Associates at 913-553-3046 to speak with our dentist, Dr. Mark Jensen, DDS, about your options for periodontal care.